Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nice to meet you, Mr Editor!

Hi there. I had a fun weekend. Some of us journalist types had a booze and dinner party on Friday night (morning arrived very quickly!) where we had the inevitable 'lively discussion' on reporters vs. sub-editors. I have my feet in both boats, so I couldn't afford to take sides. Heh. Sunday was as usual, lazy and laidback. And today, I happened to cover the convocation of the National Institute of Bank Management here and met T N Ninan, Editor and publisher,
Business Standard, who was chief guest at the function. As is to be expected, he gave a mature, balanced convocation address that was informative and insightful. My boss later told me, "You are extremely lucky. I hear my former boss (at ET) spoke at the function you went to. Too bad I couldn't attend it myself. Would have liked to catch up with him."
I think Business Standard, in spite of being a little too journal-like, is a credible, solid business daily. Do read this interview of Ninan. He was one of those who grew ET into the brand that it is today. Sample this quote: "When I joined (BS) in 1992 (to undo the damage I had done to BS while in ET!), the brief was to take the paper national, and I mooted the idea of a joint venture with Financial Times, which by then was beginning to look at the Indian market and already had a syndication tie-up with ET that I had negotiated."
That tie-up is now another story for another post, but BS still stands and it was Ninan who kept it from falling.

No comments: