Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Something to write home about (from Beijing)

I got home from work at 2 am and then stayed up all night (or day) reading what the several Indian sports correspondents in Beijing had to say about Abhinav Bindra and his gold medal. It's not often that I pick up a copy of HT, (the paper is rapidly heading nowhere and it remains to be seen what the new editor(s) can do to set things right) but am I glad I did so yesterday. Wait, TOI probably had the best all-round coverage (I even learnt that Bindra's pet dogs are called Buddy (Saint Bernard) and Chottu (Beagle) Ha! ) but this piece by Rohit Brijnath is a must-read. Ok, so sometimes Brijnath goes overboard ("He breathes." Heehaw!) but that he wrote this over a year ago is amazing. Laughably, HT Mint wants the 'credit' for 'predicting' the medal just because they published the piece. And all this while we thought Brijnath did the predicting. Tsk, tsk.